Search This Blog

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Biblically Submissive Role Models in Showbiz and Sports

Candace Cameron-Bure with her husband and children gatherroundthetable.com 


Hollywood is the last place on earth where you would hear about Biblical submissiveness. Usually, Hollywood and its women are equated with fiercely independent, worldly creatures who succeed in what is deemed as a man's world.

So, it is refreshing to hear that there are still Hollywood role models who leave their egos in the movie/TV sets when they come home to their husbands.

Such is the case of CANDACE CAMERON, "DJ" of the popular TV sitcom (I was a fan of her and the sitcom for years!!!), Full House.

Photo Credit: todevahouse.com


I copy-pasted Good Morning America's Lesley Messer's article on "Why Candace Cameron Loves Being in a Submissive Marriage." Candace was interviewed just the other day regarding this topic. For a link to the video, click HERE. :) (Editor's Note: She is being barraged by criticisms as of this writing, left and right for being "submissive", but her advice to them? "Just calm down." :))

Candace Cameron Bure has been happily married for 17 years to hockey player Val Bure and together, they have three children.
Now, she's giving the somewhat controversial explanation as to how she makes it all work: 
She's submissive in her marriage.
"I love that my man is a leader. I want him to lead and be the head of the family and those decisions, major decisions, do fall on him," she told HuffPo Live. "It doesn't mean I don't voice my opinion. It doesn't mean I don't have an opinion. I absolutely do. But it is very difficult to have two heads of authority."

ALBERTO E. RODRIGUEZ/GETTY IMAGES FOR SOCALVIBE

The former "Full House" star wrote a book, "Balancing It All: My Story of Juggling Priorities and Purpose," and wrote,
 "I quickly learned that I had to find a way of honoring his take-charge personality and not get frustrated about his desire to have the final decision on just about everything. I am not a passive person, but I chose to fall into a more submissive role in our relationship because I wanted to do everything in my power to make my marriage and family work."

ABC PHOTO ARCHIVES/ABC VIA GETTY IMAGES


"I allow him to make the final choice," she added in the interview. "Obviously I will make my opinion very clear and clearly I have been married for 17 years and we have a very happy marriage and it works very well."
Bure adds that even though her husband is the one who calls the shots in her home, he takes her opinions to heart and often makes the choice that she would have hoped he'd make.
"The definition that I'm using with submissive is the biblical definition," she explained. "It's meekness. It is not weakness. It's strength under control. It's bridled strength."
Hollywood Life.com
WOW.    I love how she explained Biblical submissiveness. That it is NOT weakness. That it is MEEKNESS. That it is strength under control. That it is bridled strength.

She married young but her decision to be Biblically submissive allowed her to withstand the many trials of a high-profile marriage. How great God's Design for Marriage really is, whether for private individuals or public personas! :)

****************************************************************************
One other role model comes to mind when the word "Biblically submissive" is mentioned.

Volleyball star and fitness advocate, GABRIELLE REECE.

At the same time last year, while promoting her own book, "My Foot Is Too Big For the Glass Slipper - A Guide To The Less Than Perfect Life", she courageously said that she believes that "women being submissive in a relationship is a sign of power rather than weakness." 

You could imagine the criticisms hurled at her after saying that! She spent days and weeks defending her beliefs!

I am copy-pasting Today contributor Scott Stump's article on Gabby Reece's declaration that: "Women Being Submissive Is A Sign of Strength." For a link to the video, click HERE. :)

NBC NEWSWIRE/NBCU PHOTO BANK VIA GETTY IMAGES


In discussing her new book about her challenges as a mother and wife on TODAY Friday, former volleyball star and fitness advocate Gabrielle Reece said she believes women being submissive in a relationship is a sign of power rather than weakness.
In “My Foot is Too Big for the Glass Slipper,” she writes that “to truly be feminine means being soft, receptive, and – look out, here it comes – submissive.”

@GABBYREECE VIA TWITTER


I think the idea of living with a partner is ‘How can I make their life better?’’’ Reece told Natalie Morales. “So if I’m the woman and he’s the man, then yes, that’s the dynamic. I’m willing and I choose to serve my family and my husband because it creates a dynamic where he is then in fact acting more like a man and masculine and treating me the way I want to be treated."

“I think because women have the ability to set the tone that the ultimate strength and showing real power, I believe, is creating that environment. I don’t think it’s a sign of weakness. I think it’s a sign of strength.’
Reece, who has been married to legendary big-wave surfer Laird Hamilton for 17 years, also clarified her definition of being submissive.

GREGG DEGUIRE/FILMMAGIC

“He’s not saying, ‘Dinner on the table at six,’’’ she said. “We’re not talking about that. I’m saying, ‘Hey I’ll lift up my side, and I’ll do it happily,’ and also the expectation would be, or the hope would be, that he comes with the same attitude. Is it a form of service? Absolutely. But I think it’s the place I can express that part of myself and my personality.’’

In her book, Reece also discusses a rocky stretch in her marriage. Four years after she and Hamilton tied the knot, she filed for divorce, but the two worked things out.

“That’s the whole point of the book, which is the happily ever after,’’ Reece told NBC's Kate Snow. “Maybe what’s typical is that you slam into a wall, but then what are you going to do when you do get to that wall?”

“I think I was putting her in a position that she had these things that she wanted to express and not expressing them so that you would get this build-up over time,’’ Hamilton told Snow. “I feel like it’s a blessing for us that we’ve gone through a bunch of different things in our relationship, which has allowed us to arrive here today. We’ve been brought here through what we’ve endured in our relationship and at the end that’s only made us stronger.’’

A Facebook family photo
Through hard work and creating a strong underlying bond, the couple was able to work through their difficulties.

theglobaltownhall.com
“I think first of all you realize what can you do different and do better in the
relationship,’’ Reece said. “That’s what I had to look at because you’re not born with the skill set to live and cohabitate and be in a relationship with somebody, so really sometimes it’s only trial by error and by fire. I think both of us realized that we had sort of a foundation to make it work out, and that we had a shot and that we should maximize that instead of saying, ‘OK, this is too hard,’ and quit.’’

Reece has three daughters with Hamilton, whom she married in Hawaii in 1997. She took 10 years off from a busy career of playing volleyball and modeling to raise her children, and spoke with Morales about the concept of women trying to “have it all.”
She's so much taller than he is! But, we know who's boss. ;)  Photo Credits: jezebel.com

There is no having it all, but I think the idea is women have to understand what’s going to make them happy,’’ Reece explained. “We don’t worry about (men) having it all, so I don’t know where we got this idea to have it all.

“I think it’s very challenging to think, ‘Oh, I can have it all.’ My children know they can’t have it all. You have to make choices. Things are hard work, so you’ve got to choose what you’re going to work really hard at.’’

**************************************************************************************************************

So there you have it ladies. Two beautiful celebrities who know about God's Great Design for Marriage and the gift that is submission. :) To fellow wives in the submissive journey like I am in, we may be a rare breed, but we are growing in number every day, celebrities included. :)
ala-Hollywood -- Now submissive wife Nikka and now respected husband Dong ;) 

All praises go back to God alone! :)

May we all be richly blessed! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. I would love to discuss things with you. :)